Thursday, September 22, 2005

All the Drugs in this World Won’t Save her from Herself*



Am I the only one who frankly, finds it disgusting the way the media and fashion industry have reacted to Kate Moss’ drug addiction? Instead of attempting to get the girl help, or support her in any way, they are attempting to distance themselves from the problem, when, let’s face it, they are the problem.

It’s not as though H&M, or now possibly Rimmel, is going to go out and find a new spokesmodel that actually promotes healthy body-images to girls. Nope, they’re going to out and find themselves some twiggy 14-year old, apply heavy make up to her so she looks legal and continue selling the same fucked up body-image issues to women that likely cause Kate Moss – and every other model – to abuse drugs in the first place.

Sure Kate was stupid enough to get caught; but if my job consisted of remaining rail thin, wearing clothing and walking in a straight line I might need to be permanently fucked up as well.

Just to show how much illness has been intertwined with beauty, a few years ago when I started losing massive amounts of weight quickly friends and family commented on how good I looked “now” and then quickly followed it up with questions about whether or not I had an eating disorder. As if to further intertwine these two notions that sickness is the only means to achieving beauty.

* subtle Marilyn Manson reference.

9 Comments:

Blogger n.v. said...

Flesh, can we really blame the companies? Kate Moss has gotten into this business and has stayed in it knowing what she's up against and knowing what is expected of her.

I'm not saying it's right to treat her the way she's being treated, but I'm not going to agree that she's a victim here. We, general women, are victims of Kate Moss.

10:18 AM  
Blogger Rob Danger said...

I'm not sure if I feel that Kate Moss is a helpless victim, we are all responsible for our actions, for sure.
But I don't know that women are victims of Kate Moss either. I actually think women are victims of the companies that produce images using the insane body-type that Kate Moss happens to come by. To be honest I think she's a tool used by those companies to sell women disatisfaction with their shapes.

3:09 PM  
Blogger "the" Mrs. Astor said...

And just what's wring with a "Twiggy 14 year old"?

Oh, you mean a girl. Sorry, you're right.

3:36 PM  
Blogger "the" Mrs. Astor said...

That's "wrong".....

Where is my Miss Lemon?

3:37 PM  
Blogger swirlogirl said...

anyone i know who's been to an h&m loves h&m. did they really need kate moss to sell their shit? i think not. i mean really. she is so 1996 to me. i didn't know people even still cared about so called supermodels.

4:28 PM  
Blogger Ethan said...

you know that is so true! I have heard people compliment others on losing weight, but I have never heard anyone telling someone bigger they look healthy even though they are the one smiling and the one who lost weight looks miserable and wants to eat! lol

3:19 AM  
Blogger Gwen said...

A pill to make you numb, a pill to make you dumb, a pill to make you... anybody else...

Totally off-topic: Have you heard the Apop cover of that song?

9:44 PM  
Blogger Rob Danger said...

I have not, and just whom are the Apop??

1:04 AM  
Blogger Gwen said...

Apop = Apoptygma Berzerk. They're all Norwegian and stuff. They do EBM, as my boyfriend instructs me to tell you.

11:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home