Friday, September 30, 2005

My Fashion Politik

...my high school yearbook quote...



Sometimes when I’m getting dressed for class and marveling at my snappy fashion efforts, I am struck by just how much my sense of style has changed from high school to university.

In high school I was the kid that sported a Chelsea and wore track pants everyday. Usually my thirty layers of giant sweaters were accompanied by one of my many oversized Northern Exposure T-shirts with images of wolves and deer on them. In fact, one time in my senior year, while out for coffee, my girlfriend remarked that when in public with her I wasn’t allowed to wear T-shirts with animal images ever again.

Basically, I was a bull-dyke in high school.

Now I actually style my hair before I leave home in the morning; and by style it I mean never EVER do something as hideous to myself as a Chelsea. I’ve taken out most of my piercing and I try to wear dress slacks a couple of times a week. My shirts have become quite tight and I’ve adopted adventures in layering, mimicked from various Indie bands I’m a fan of. It’s been quite the transformation, I assure you.

All in all I’m quite trendy, albeit that my trendy is still done primarily at second hand shops. Let’s call it fashion for those on a budget. But more than just my clothes have changed, I’ve changed too [crazy, huh?]. I make a conscious effort to eat extremely healthily and I make sure to work out a few times a week in an attempt to sex-ify my body. Although with the sharp increase in drinking in recent years perhaps the exercise is more an attempt to fight off all the added caloric in-take.

In high school I thought that my clothing and style was reflecting my refusal to cave into the societal norms I found oppressive. I didn’t want to buy into a beauty-myth that was limited to the select few who exist at a pinnacle of beauty so few of us regular people have hopes of achieving. I sometimes wonder what would happen if Past-Me were to meet Now-Me? Would he think I had sold-out to the MAAAAN? On a good day I imagine he’d be jealous of how much hotter and thinner I am now.

But on bad days I wonder if I really am compromising something. My politics have shifted alongside my clothing-choices; for the most part I believe in the same things but I like to think I’m a bit more practical now. But maybe practicality and compromising are just pretty words for giving up and in?

Jesus a CHELSEA. What was I thinking?

6 Comments:

Blogger "the" Mrs. Astor said...

Just think "manners" vonWintoor. My grandmother used to say, "Manners are are not the character, they are the dress of character."

What were you thinking? But, of course, it is never too late.

11:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

your blog sucks.

11:45 AM  
Blogger Ruben said...

OK! for the record your blog is good. At least you has some style in high school. I had a freaking jerry curl and clothes that had colors that weren't not even discovered yet. A chelsea? How could you!

6:40 PM  
Blogger yournamehere said...

Flesh, what's with the giant type? Do you have a lot of senior citizens who read your blog? It was refreshing to be able to take off my glasses and still read it, however.

1:41 PM  
Blogger swirlogirl said...

ah sheeeit. so that's what you call liz's haircut in degrassi jr. high. i'm so glad i know this now! you have enlightened me once again

4:54 PM  
Blogger Digby said...

man i don't if you'd liz's haircut a chelsea...it was more a susan powder (circa 1990) with curtains.

moose tshirts and wolves howling at the moon sweatshirts are forgivable...however what is not forgivable are looney toons spliced with college football teams sweat suits that are now in their second decade of popularity amonst the "wal-mart chic".

8:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home